DO YOU HAVE A PIECE OF WRITING YOU'RE PROUD OF? DON'T BE SHY! SEND IT TO US! WE'D LOVE THE CHANCE TO PUBLISH YOUR WORK!
Please read and follow instructions carefully.
Thank you for your interest in LONG STORY SHORT, a monthly e-zine that encourages new and emerging writers by showcasing their best work.
Each issue contains stories in a wide range of genres including true life, mystery, fantasy, comedy, romance...We're open to anything your imagination has to offer!
We also publish poetry and non-fiction, "How-to's," tips for writers, essays and anything else topical and interesting. Ours is a publication prone to optimism and achievement, but well-written murder mysteries, bizarre stories, tales of infidelity or anything of the sort will be considered for publication.
If your style runs to darkness, misery and pain, we may not be the best publication for you - but who knows? An intriguing tale will capture our attention, no matter how gloomy.
GUIDELINES: WE ARE STRICTLY FLASH AND MICRO FICTION - NOTHING MORE THAN 1000 WORDS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
We will consider every submission for publication, but please follow the suggestions below to ensure your chances of acceptance:
1. No obscene language AT ALL, excessive violence and absolutely no pornography! We understand that fiction has to be realistic, but we won't consider graphic material, so please save your time and ours.
2. Short stories and non-fiction articles should have a 1,000-word maximum; flash fiction a 1000 word maximum; and poetry should be no longer than 32 lines. We also have a page for short items under 500 words.
3. Please review and spell check carefully before submitting. We don't mind doing minor editing, but don't have the time or patience to consider correcting entire stories. It's easier to reject them instead. Don't let this happen to yours! Proofread, proofread, proofread! Editors reserve the right to make minor corrections to any work submitted.
Submissions should be in MSWORD FORMAT, SINGLE SPACED WITH A BLANK LINE BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS AND SEPARATING DIALOGUE. NO PARAGRAPH INDENTATIONS OR SPACING! DO NOT HIT RETURN AT THE END OF THE LINE, JUST KEEP TYPING!
Submissions not complying often require complete reformatting which is time-consuming and tedious. NO ATTACHMENTS PLEASE.
4. Unfortunately, we aren't able to pay for published material at this time. Be optimistic and consider the increased exposure our publication will give your writing! However, if your story is chosen for Story of the Month, you have a chance of receiving $25.00 at the end of the year when we read all the stories we had for Story of the Month. If your story is picked you will receive $25.00 and your story will be listed under Story of the Year. You can go to archives and see all the stories we've picked over the years.
5. Reprints are welcome, but please advise us where and when your story was previously published. Simultaneous submissions accepted.
6. All stories and poetry we publish will be archived. Authors may link to their stories. If an author wishes to have his/her story removed from our archives, they will need to email us. The story will be deleted within five days of the author's request.
7. Electronic submissions only, attachments will NOT be accepted. Paste your work onto the body of an e-mail and send to the following:
- For poetry submissions, put "POETRY SUBMISSION" in the subject line, plus the title.
- For Fiction submissions, put "FICTION SUBMISSION" in the subject line, plus the title.
- For Non-Fiction, put "NON-FICTION" in the subject line, plus the title.
(This is a new address so if you've submitted poetry in the past, take note.)
Our poetry editor is well-published poet, Amy S. Pacini.
8. Please make sure to include your name, e-mail address and word count on the top of the page! Include a brief biography
(2-3 lines - whether we already have your bio or not, please resend it so we don't have to dig through our files) along with permission to use your email address for reader contact should we publish your work. It won't be posted, unless you send with each submission. Thank you.
9. Please, only send two submissions of any type per month per author!
10. We reserve the right to reject any submission without explanation. Some stories simply do not meet our standards or needs at any given time.
11. We're dedicated to responding within two months, but lately it's been running a bit longer to the huge number we receive. We will provide critiques whenever possible. We encourage you to browse through the site to get a better idea of the types of stories we're looking for and to enjoy some great writing.
12. All seasonal material should be sent to us four months prior to the holiday.
Thanks for sharing your work with us and our readers!
Amy S. Pacini